I’ve been doing some playing around with Sharepoint 2010 and ran across a problem last night, after uninstalling Office Web Apps. I re-ran the Product Configuration Wizard as advised and it failed on step 6, leaving me unable to access the sites or central admin
I had a look in the event logs and saw that it had “failed to register services” so a quick Bing took me to blog of Antonio Vargas which said:
To resolve this problem you need to go to the Registry Editor and delete SPSearchService entry.
- Go to the Start Menu and then click Run.
- Write regedit on Run box.
- Navigate to the SharePoint registry entries on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web ServerExtensions\14.0\WSS\Services.
- Delete SPSearchService entry.
- Run the SharePoint Configuration wizard again.
I tried it and it worked a treat Thanks Antonio and I hope this helps others out there too.
A word of warning: Having followed the above steps, I now seem to be without search capabilities inside Sharepoint now